Tuesday, September 18, 2007

More about Suing God.

I posted the link earlier, but I was too upset to really say anything about this whole debacle.

This article above pretty much sums up the history. It makes me SICK to think that If I were raped that a judge could ban the use of the words rape, sexual assault, victim, assailant and sexual assault kit. How on earth is that woman supposed to accurately describe the pain and circumstances surrounding the situation that put them in court in the first place? I mean come ON! What’s next? Someone breaks into my house and robs me blind, and rapes me and the judge is going to be able to ban the words “breaking and entering”, “theft,” and “trespassing?” What happens then?

Yes, That person entered my house without permission and did some damage to the doors and windows along the way. He entered my house without permission and bade me sit in a chair whilst he knotted some rope around my wrists and legs. The rope was also attached to a chair. After removed many of the items that I had purchased, we engaged in non-consensual sex. Meaning, I was not consenting but he went ahead anyway.*

That doesn’t quite sound the same as what really happened in my fictional version. By removing all of the emotion and pain involved, you are also stripping that person of their humanity. Think about which moves you more. The above paragraph, or this one:

I was sleeping in bed when I heard a large crash. When I went to investigate, this man was standing in my doorway. He had broken the glass on the door. When he saw me he grabbed me, forced me into a chair where he tied me up. I couldn’t move. While I was tied up I watched him steal or break many of my most treasured items. That wasn’t enough. When he was done, stealing my stuff, he stole my soul. He raped me.

I know that a person is innocent until proven guilty in this country. I also know that there are many men out there that have been falsely accused of rape. However, there are many more women in our world who have been assaulted and raped who have not come forward because of situations like this. How can you feel positively about going to the police if you can’t accurately describe what happened when your time in court arrives? The problem isn’t with this case alone but the precedent it sets for the rest of time.

This article tends to make me even more upset. This is just another waste of time and money by this man. If he wanted to make a stand and sue because of a “frivolous” law suit, fine. Do it because some idiot is suing McDonalds because she was burned by hot coffee. Do it because some dork put a drill up his nose, and hit the trigger, and is now suing because “there was no warning against that” in the booklet. But Ms. Bowen had every right to sue because of her loss of free speech. She was unable to accurately depict the events that had occurred during her trial.

There is a fine line between victim rights and rights for the accused and this judge crossed the line and in doing so has opened the door for every sexual predator in the nation to have unfair words banned from the courtroom as well. How are we going to feel as a society when we let this continue? How are we going to feel when pedaphiles go free, violating more children, because words that depict them in a bad light are not allowed in court?

A Note to Mr. Chambers:

I don’t care that you boycott the prayers before the opening of the congress. You are probably right. There is separation of Church and State. You have every right to do so. However, you have no right to badmouth Christians. We are not perfect. We make mistakes, but those of us that are TRUE Christians spend our lives trying to lead good, decent moral lives. I hope you DO get your day in the Douglas County Court Mr. Chambers. I hope God shows up. But know this: Even if He doesn’t appear before the Douglas County Court, you will appear before Him at the gates someday. I pray Mr. Chambers that before that day you will rethink many of the things you have said and done in your life and for our government. I pray, Mr. Chambers that you will find the Lord; that you will repent for your sins. Because, Mr. Chambers, in the true end, He is the only one that can Save you.

*Footnote: This story is fictional and is NOT what happened in the actual court case. Meaning, I made this one up. I expanded on the situation for drama and to show what could happen in the future if things like this continue to happen.

1 comment:

Vanessa said...

I just don't get him. What a friggin idiot. When I saw the link to the video clip it said Nebraska Senator Sues God. Or something like that. No name mentioned, but I was like seriously Ernie, you are a moron. And sure enough, it was him.

I just can't put into words how I feel about the whole situation. Urg!