Saturday, January 10, 2009

Today is a better day.

Today always has the possibility of being a better day than yesterday.

Jesus said that we should be like little children in our faith. I'm starting to think that we should be like little children in other ways as well. Have you ever noticed that no matter how terribly your child is behaving before bed, no matter how bad the day before was, that when they wake the next morning (so long as they wake up on their own accord with a clean diaper), they are in a good mood, ready to start the new day. They've forgotten about the troubles of yesterday -- the ice cream that they didn't get, the trouble they were in for biting like dinosaurs. They get up, smile, and greet the world as though today could be the best day of their lives.

I wasn't sure what my New Year's Resolution was going to be this year. But after yesterday, I prayed a little bit and realized that I was blessed. I am blessed to own sunglasses, have money for milk, and be able to go out to eat with my husband on a Friday night. I need to wake up each morning, count my blessings and try to remember that today has the potential to be the best day of my life. And if today isn't, then it very well could be tomorrow.

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

A while ago I posted something similar about attitudes...and the funny thing is - the pastor that I quoted, Rev. Don, also was the pastor who always delivered the same benediction at church - every Sunday the same - and it was to "Go and WALK like the little children." It's a benediction that is still written/taped in my third grade bible.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm pulling the 3rd grade bible out from now on.

Lisa said...

Love this post. I've been trying to remind myself daily that I and my family are very blessed and we should rejoice. Some days it's harder to do then others, but I sure am trying. Thanks for the post. Can you tell I'm trying to catch up???