Saturday, January 27, 2007

Just my luck...


Today was absolutely crazy. The little man has gotten too heavy to carry in that silly carrier thing. So I got his "big boy" carseat all set up and we got him bundled in his winter coat and headed out to "test" to see if I just had to suck it up and learn how to carry a 15 1/2 pound baby in his carrier anyway. He hates the carseat as much as the carrier, but that was to be expected.
I didn't expect it to be as cold as it was though. We shouldn't have taken him out. We went to Toys R Us to get an exersaucer. (a toy like a walker but it doesn't move, and it is almost overstimulating..) We got there and I put him in the cart and he was a champ. He isn't sitting up on his own yet, but we shoved stuff on either side of him in front of the cart and he smiled the whole time. It was like he knew he was growing up and was loving the independence. We got the toy, and got it in the car.
I started up the engine, plugged it in reverse, hit the gas and nothing.. I hit the gas a bit harder.. still nothing.. Okay, not really NOTHING. Water, snow and ice was flying forward from my tires. I found a great spot. It was really close to the door and I wouldn't have to carry the baby out in the cold very far. I didn't realize it was a bad spot until we tried to leave. I found a spot that had potholes. Who cares, right? Well, that's fine until they fill up with snow and ice. Then put a front wheel drive car's tires in those snow/ice filled potholes and see what happens. Ha.
After a few minutes of revving my engine, I had my mom get in and drive and I got out to push. (Mom just had rotator cuff surgery. Don't think the PT would have approved of her pushing.) I had my heels dug into the sidewalk, and my arms pushed into the car so that I was leaning my entire body into the front of the car. Had the wheels gripped, I would have ended up with my face in the snow or my head would have cracked the curb. NO luck. the wheels didn't grip. We called my Dad to see if he could come help. His first reaction was to laugh at us. Of course I would find the stupid parking spot that I could get stuck in. Then he said.. "Okay, if I come out what should I bring?" NOW.. My dad is a mechanic. HE KNOWS WHAT TO BRING TO GET A CAR UNSTUCK FROM A PARKING LOT. I told him I didn't know whatever he thought could get us unstuck. He could bring a tow rope, a wench, a wrench, HELL BRING A FRIEND. I don't care, just GET HERE. At that moment, my mom spotted two guys. These were big burly manly men looking guys. They looked like they could don a leather jacket and ride into the sunset with the Hell's Angels on Harleys if they wanted to, but they were having a "preppy" day in new jeans, shoes and jackets. She asked them to help and they did. Each guy grabbed the bumper on the front of my Passat and lifted and pushed while I had the car in reverse. Miraculously neither one got wet and we did get unstuck. My dad got to stay home. From now on I'll definitely pay a bit more attention to where i am parking, and what I am parking in... Especially at Toys R Us. But if either of you "burly" men are reading this, thanks for helping get my car out. I wish I could write you a card, but hence, I don't even know your name.. And Gretchen, YES I used the word "burly" just for you... I couldn't manage to work "flip it out" or "fill his pants" into this entry. ;)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Love this story, Mary. I am so glad those men were willing to help.