Friday, January 19, 2007

Bad Mommy, Bored Mommy

The baby is sleeping in my bed. Daddy is gone, I breastfeed. It is just easier. Not to mention, he STAYS asleep in my bed. It seems as though the SECOND I put him in his own bed he wakes up screaming. So what is a tired mommy to do? (some might say get off the flippin' internet and sleep, but I'm an addict. I admit it) It is also VERY convenient for that 2 to 3 am or so feeding.. I just roll over flip it out and go back to sleep. His bassinet is approved for up to 15 lbs. He weighs more than that now. I worry about his safety in it, yet I am not ready for him to be in a crib in his own room yet. It is COLD in the basement as well, and there isn't a heating vent in his room, so the coldest room in the house. So, those are my rationalizations. I do however know that I want him to be OUT of my bed in a few months.. by spring... So, we'll have to work on that I guess. This blog was not meant to be all about the baby, but it most certainly has turned into "shrine to baby R." Oh well.

In other news. My husband shook hands with the Secretary of Defense the other day. He wasn't exactly sure what was going on, but figured it out soon enough. It was an exciting day.

I am thinking I am ready to find a group of people to be around without the baby. I am ready to rejoin the adult world. I don't know exactly how to go about doing that. I guess the biggest problem, is that I don't really "fit in" to any group. (story of my life... kinda like jr high and high school) I am married, but my husband is gone, so it is awkward to be around couples (one reason I quit going to Lamaze class). Yet I am married, so the single crowd doesn't really work either. Factor in that I am a stay at home mom, but that I'm not the typical "soccer mom" and then who is left? I thought about joining a Yoga class during the day, but I have stereotyped the people that I think will be in that class and it led to procrastination. If I don't figure something out soon my husband will be upset. He knows me well enough that he forced me to find work of some sort in Virginia (and it wasn't for the money). If it weren't for daycare issues, I would find a volunteer job and try to do something to make the world a better place. For now, I will just rationalize my existence with the thought that I am raising my son to be a person who will believe in something and treat others with respect, honesty and kindness. There seems to be a shortage of those people, so that IS doing something for the world right?? right??

No comments: