Thursday, October 11, 2007

Return of the Pre-flight anxiety.

I am getting ready to fly to the east coast with my baby. On. My. Lap. Problem is, he's more of a toddler than a baby, and he normally won't allow me to hold him for more than oh, 4 seconds at a time regularly. What possessed me to believe that he will sit still on my lap on an airplane for three hours? To be fair, the first flight to chicago is only an hour or so.. It's the second flight that's three hours. I am having heart palpitations just thinking about it. I am feeling nauseous. This can't be good.

We'll get to the east coast, spend the night, then we'll get on ANOTHER plane. For 24 hours. Or More. He's going to hate me. And hate planes. This plane ride will be better for me in that he'll have his own seat. If he doesn't get his own seat, we're not going. (Sorry husband!)

Being the good Mommy that I am, bought a tray for his carseat so that when he's on the plane he'll be able to eat and have something to drink without sharing my airplane tray. We tried that last time, but the airplane trays end up hitting his cute little feet and won't come down all the way. Hopefully he'll be happier this flight because of the tray. Heck, I might even buy some crayons for him to eat color with. I have tried every place I can think of to ship diapers to our final destination... But no one will ship them there... So, I guess I'm going to have to bring an extra large bag for the baby with a 30 day supply of diapers. At least a 30 day supply isn't nearly as many as it used to be!

He's no longer nursing, so if he starts to fuss it won't be as easy as "whip out the boob" to placate him... I'll have to be... creative... what do you do with a fussy 1 year old on a plane when boobies don't work anymore? I could do dum-dum pops like last time.. Any other ideas?

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

If James likes music you could get him the kids CD player from Fisher Price and some cd's of his favorite music to listen to. It worked for a mom who was traveling at the same time as me just a few weeks ago and her baby was 14 months old.