Sunday, August 24, 2008

Marriage -- It's not for wussies!

If you haven't noticed, I've been without 'stuff' to say lately. That doesn't mean that I don't miss being here. It feels like it's been weeks since I've posted something. It's been since Wednesday.

I went to a new church with a friend this morning. It was wonderful! One of the things I've been praying about is the whole 'submit to your husband' thing. You know, the Bible says "Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body." (Ephesians 5:22-23). I know a lot of feminist women that would read that and stop right there and say.. "Well, I'm not going to do that! I'm not going to SUB-MIT! to my husband." I know. I used to be one of them. But then, keep reading:

"Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. Husbands, love your wives just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her" (Ephesians 5:24-25)."So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does His church... Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself and let the wife see that she respects her husband." (Ephesians 5:28-29, 33)

Well, that tells the husbands what they are supposed to do doesn't it? A husband is not supposed to be domineering, violent, or demanding. A husband is supposed to love, honor and cherish his wife. Just as Christ does the church. A man is never supposed to do terrible things to his wife. He is to treat her as he would treat his own person. While a husband is the biblical head of the household and his wife, it is not to be misunderstood that he has complete power over her. He is NOT to abuse his wife. Period. "For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does His church."

I am blessed to have a husband who follows these principles. He loves, cherishes, and honors me. Sometimes, I do not return that favor. I am not always very nice, especially after a particularly long day of MOM MOM MOM MOM MOM MOM ringing in the background of the onslaught of telephone calls, emails, housework, cooking, and chasing that is my daily life. I have given so much of myself to others, that I have nothing left to give to him. He works hard to provide for us all day, and lately when he's come home it's been to a very tired and very crabby me. I am short-tempered, impatient, and mean. Something had to give. So that is the reason why I've been absent. It has been good for me to take a few days off. My batteries are re-charging, and hopefully I'll be back to my bloggy self shortly.

Not the Momma, no matter how crabby I am at the end of the day, I love you. I am glad you are home. I hope you are enjoying the meal I prepared while lovingly thinking of you. I want to enjoy the time we have together before you return to sea duty. I really do love you. For you. And not just because the Bible says I should. (*wink!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mary, it's interesting you posted this verse. My mother in law talks about "submitting to your husband" and my hippie sister in law takes it completely out of context. Your interpretation is exactly how my mother in law has been trying to explain it to my SIL without success. I may just forward my MIL your blogpost.

Thanks a bunch, this was very refreshing to read.

Mis

Marmite Breath said...

I'm a bit of a hippie myself, and remembering my wedding vows, we talked about how Aaron would also obey me.

Fair's fair, right?

And submitting, I think, is a two way street, and is a good step in making a person be vulnerable and not in control all the time.

It's good for everybody.

Full disclosure: I am a non-Christian who doesn't use the Bible in her life, but who uses a lot of Christian based teachings in her life.

PS) I'm glad you got your batteries recharged, Mary. I hope you're feeling good.