Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Found my soapbox. It's petty, but hey.

Something that has been bothering me for a while just popped into my head. I will be unable to sleep if I don’t write about it. I feel the need to correct your grammar. Well, perhaps not YOUR grammar, but someone’s. I understand that my grammar isn’t perfect. I type as I would speak, so it isn’t the same as technical writing, in which I would worry about my overuse of commas and ellipsis. At any rate, here is the reason why. At my sister’s bachelorette party I got into quite the drunken argument with a stupid girl (scary part… she was an education major.. she will be teaching our children) about the correct use of the term “so-and-so and I” when she corrected my grammar incorrectly. It nearly got very heated, until I remembered I was at a party, that we had been drinking, and my sister didn’t give a damn that her friend’s college education was severely lacking. (I have not yet completed my college degree.) Back to my point.

Our conversation went something like this:

Me: You are coming to the bar with Kelly and me?

Stupid girl: You mean Kelly and I.

Me: No. I mean “Kelly and me.

(then it began to get ugly.)

The Grammar Lesson:

When you are going to talk about yourself and another person by name in the SUBJECT of a sentence, you would say “Jamie and I are going to the park with Josh.” That is correct. How do I know? If you kill of Jamie (or just leave her behind, it might save you some jail time.) You would say. “I am going to the park with Josh.”, so it is logical that when you add Jamie, nothing changes. You wouldn’t say “Me is going to the park with Josh (unless you are two), so it would be incorrect to say “Jamie and me are going to the park with Josh.”

When you are going to talk about yourself and another party by name in the PREDICATE of a sentence, you would say “Jamie is coming to the park with Josh and me.” This is correct grammar. Why? How do I know? To be fair, this time we are going to kill off Josh. You would say “Jamie is coming to the park with me.” Again, it is logical that nothing changes when you bring Josh along for some three-way fun. You wouldn’t say “Jamie is coming to the park with I.” Not even a two year old makes that mistake very often. So, it is absolutely, positively, without a doubt incorrect to say "Jamie is coming to the park with Josh and I."

End Grammar Lesson

So, that was my soap box for the day. Stupid girl, go to hell. Stop correcting other people’s grammar in order inflate your ego. It only makes you look stupid because, ahem, YOU are mistaken sweetheart. YOUR grammar needs to be checked. NOT mine.

Update: Just in case you wanted some real proof:
http://www.drgrammar.org/faqs/#34

No comments: