Saturday, July 07, 2007

Bonding...

...is an amazing thing to watch. The money we've spent on this trip, while it hasn't been much, was all worth it. If we'd spent three times the money it would be worth it. I have some photographic evidence of the father/son bonding that has gone on. Daddy has taken on the responsibility of bathing the baby when he isn't working his shift. That has proven to be great fun for all three of us. I love watching them play. Daddy loves watching the baby splash and giggle. The best fun so far has been the rousing game of "toss whatever I have over the edge so you can bring it back and we can start again." Here they are playing the "toss" game with a washcloth. Even more interesting is the "toss" game when played with a cup. The cup is usually full of water, so when it is "tossed" the contents fly around the room (usually in my direction). No matter how messy, this game has been a lot of fun for both of them.

A few people have asked me how "Dad and Baby" are getting along together. After all, Daddy is a virtual stranger. Daddy was around for a little over a month during the holidays during his transfer, and then for a few days in May. The first was too long ago for the baby to remember, and the latter a bit too short. I have no doubt in my mind that the baby will miss Daddy when we leave here. It is a good thing and a bad thing all at the same time. Why is there no doubt in my mind? The baby did something he has never done before. He left my breast for someone else. Now he has de-latched to LOOK at someone or something, to smile at someone, etc. He has always remained in my arms, waiting for the right moment to turn back around and demand more milk... Until yesterday. Yesterday I was nursing the baby. He de-latched, crawled aross the couch and into Daddy's lap. He didn't just stay there for a second and move on for better things. He snuggled. He curled up, laid his head on Daddy's chest MULTIPLE times, noozled his neck and hugged him. The whole bit lasted several minutes. The longest he's ever snuggled with anyone besides me when he hasn't been sick. It was great. My only regret about that moment is that there is no photographic evidence. (The camera probably would have ruined the moment, so I don't completely regret leaving the camera alone.)

Now my only fear is that this child is going to freak out when we go to the airport to leave. He is going to reach his little arms out for his "da-da" and call him by name with some pathetic tone in his voice and cry. Then I will join him.

No comments: