Friday, November 17, 2006

Worries Worries...

Let the worrying begin. I knew as a mom I would worry, but I didn't know how bad it would be. I worry about everything. I never thought I would be obsessed with the color and consistency of another person's poop, but I am finding myself worrying about that among many other silly things. Is it normal for a baby to have hiccups several times a day for what seems like an hour each time? Is it normal for his little lip to quiver half way through a feeding when he is getting ready to start eating again? How much sleep is normal? Can I let him sleep through the night if he wants to or do I need to wake him up and make him eat halfway through the night? Is he breathing when he doesn't wake up and want to eat? What is that noise that he just made? Is it okay that some nights I am so tired that instead of listening to him make noises in the bassinet that I just lay him on my chest and let him sleep in bed with me? Is it okay that he turns red and cries every time he has to poop (which is quite often.. About every 2 hours)? Is he warm enough at night? Is he too warm at night? Is he crying because he doesn't feel good, or is he really hungry again even though I finished feeding him only 45 minutes ago?? Am I making enough milk to satisfy him? Is that why he is hungry again? Why is he sleeping so much today? Is the bath water too hot? Too cold?

There is this constant barrage of questions and worries running through my mind. His pediatrician says that she would worry more if I worried less, so that makes me feel good. Sometimes I will ask my mom something and she will get a smile on her face and tell me that it is completely normal. The biggest freak out I've had is when his poo turned green. It is supposed to be yellow from everything I've read and learned... But apparently the vitamin drops (the APA now recommends babies who are exclusively breastfed take vitamin D drops to prevent rickets and brittle bone disease?) had iron in them, which I think changed his output to a different color. The drops smell so nasty I wonder how anyone would want to eat them, so I am going to try to find a different set... But another thing I worried about, him getting too much iron. :) I know that as he grows the worries will change from being poo based to being about even scarier things like drugs, sex and all that crazy stuff that you worry about when they get older.. And then there's the girl he's going to marry... I just hope she's nice and that we get along... Can she be like me? I mean, I get along great with my in-laws, and I try really hard to make sure they are involved... Can I get so lucky?? Maybe I should quit worrying about that for now, and get back to the green poo??

He is growing up so fast! And he is STRONG.. The nickname "bam bam" that he got from Daddy's shipmates is all too appropriate.. He can already pick his head up and turn it when he is on his tummy, and the other day, I had him in my lap reclining, and he sat himself up.. Granted, he couldn't maintain that position, but he was able to get himself into a sitting position before he leaned over.... It makes me wonder when he'll be doing these things for real? He has been pretty clingy the past couple of days, but maybe it isn't that.. Maybe its that I feel good enough that I feel the need to start doing more around the house... Like laundry, filling out his baby book, and perhaps getting a shower? And now that I want to do that, he doesn't sleep for long by himself... :) Daddy will be home on Tuesday, so I really want to get things organized before then so that we can spend time with him rather than spending time working on things around the house... It's getting very very exciting around here!!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Oh, my dear. You like a natural in the photo! Please let me know if you could use a couple hours of help, here and there. I would love to see the little guy and be of assistance!